Director of Youth and Family Ministry
Our Redeemer Lutheran Church
1801 S. Elm Street, Greenville, NC 27858
(Download PDF Version)
POSITION: Director of Youth and Family Ministry
Supervision: ORLC Pastor
Part Time (10-20 hours per week), salaried position that reports directly to the Pastor while working with the Faith Development Team and Congregational volunteers.
The Director of Youth and Family Ministry (DYFM) will work to encourage, inspire, and nurture young people, their families, and other members of the congregation in the Christian faith. This individual should equip parents, mentors, and others with the skills and opportunities to serve in the faith development of youth from birth through high school.
The following qualifications are desirable:
1. Commitment to Jesus Christ, with a clear understanding of the Lutheran perspective on Christian faith and Christian education.
2. Sense of call to be a Christian educator.
3. Excellent communication skills.
4. Ability to work well with youth and adults.
5. Recommend completion of, or progress towards, a Bachelor’s degree.
6. Willingness to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings.
7. Successful completion of criminal background check and Child Protection Policy.
Subject to review and adjustment in conjunction with the Pastor, Faith Development Team, and Congregation Council (when appropriate), the following constitute the main responsibilities of the Director of Youth and Family Ministry.
The DYFM shall:
1. Oversee Sunday School: oversee Sunday School for youth ages Pre-K to high school. Lead our efforts to recruit, train, and support Sunday School teachers for youth ages Pre-K to high school. Be present at Sunday School each week to provide support and assistance. Teach students as needed. Continue to modernize, organize, and maintain the Sunday School classrooms. Ensure that they have adequate supplies.
2. Lead Youth Events: lead the planning and coordination of youth events, including week night activities, in conjunction with the Pastor and the Faith Development Team. Initially, plan one event each month for each age group. These events should include practices like: Vacation Bible School, service learning, Bible study, games, and fellowship.
3. Be a Team Player: attend and be a leader at monthly Faith Development Team meetings and other team meetings as appropriate. Attend a weekly staff meeting with the Pastor.
4. Nurture Faith at Home: prepare and coordinate regular take-home activities for youth and families. Guide parents in the faith formation of their household. Communicate opportunities and information to families in clear and accessible ways. Provide a monthly newsletter article and utilize social media resources. Make initial and follow-up contacts with church visitors who have children.
5. Connect Youth with Worship: Provide opportunity for, and foster growth in youth participation in the worship life of the congregation. Seek to involve the youth in worship in various ways, by organizing events like a monthly "Children’s Church" or an annual "Youth Sunday" Give the Children’s Sermon about once per month. Assist with the Angel Choir and Acolyte training. Be present in worship each week.
6. Coordinate Special Youth Programs: coordinate, Youth retreats, and NC Synod and/or ELCA youth programs, with assistance from volunteers and the pastor as the programs develop . Seek to partner with other Lutheran and Christian churches on youth activities.
7. Maintain Resources: in keeping with the understandings and covenants presented above, maintain and enlarge the Christian Education supplies as appropriate, providing, at the Church’s expense, sufficient copies of learning materials. The Church shall provide funds for this purpose, designated as a line item on the annual budget.
8. The DYFM shall not engage in the unauthorized duplication of copyrighted materials by photocopying or other means that would expose the DYFM to liability for penalties under existing or future copyright laws. In the event that photocopying becomes necessary for appropriate purposes, the DYFM, on behalf of the Church, shall first obtain all permissions and authorizations prior to any such reproduction of copyrighted materials. The Church hereby indemnifies the DYFM from all liability in connection with the foregoing, provided the DYFM complies with the paragraph.
9. Provide thirty (30) days advance, written notice should the DYFM wish to terminate employment or not renew this contract. Should such notice be given, any remaining leave Sundays are forfeited.
Our Redeemer values those who have agreed to minister in this congregation. We therefore on our part will:
1. Encourage and pray for you as a leader in our congregation.
2. Provide you with an annual salary.
3. Encourage your own faith development.
4. Provide you with three weeks of paid vacation.
5. Review the terms of your employment on an annual basis.
1. Periodic evaluation by the Pastor, Vice-President of the congregation, and Chair of the Faith Development Team will be completed, no less often than annually.
2. An annual report shall be submitted to the Congregation Council, noting specific activities and outcomes.
3. There will be an annual written evaluation of the work of this position, and the effectiveness of the programs and Director.
Our Redeemer Lutheran Church
This congregation is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Our Redeemer’s mission statement is: "To Be Christ to One Another and To Our Community." Our congregation’s worship attendance is 120 people. We are located in the center of Greenville, NC. We see the spiritual growth of youth and adults as a responsibility shared by all our members.
If you are interested in this position, please send Cover Letter and Resume to Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, c/o Rev. Drew Goodson, 1801 S. Elm Street, Greenville, NC 27858. Resume should include three references. For more information, or to submit materials electronically, contact: Rev. Drew Goodson at firstname.lastname@example.org